Saturday 15 December 2007

Capability Brown

While the Blue Garden sleeps under a cold blanket of snow, I enjoy reading about other gardens and garden designers. In a Danish Christmas magazine from last year, GARDEN Living, I find an article about Capability Brown, the Bristish garden designer who is said to be responsible from alot of what we today see as the typical English landscape. Lancelot "Capability" Brown was born into a labour family in Northumbria in 1716, he went to school and aged 16 he started as a gardener apprentice. Blenheim Palace is a place where you can see the result of his genius planning of a garden. Anwich Castle is another place. I have never been to Blenheim, but I enjoyed walking in the Anwick park last summer, enjoying the serene beauty.


5 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

What a cosy way to spend cold weather evenings.He is a famous landscaper Capability Brown.His designs changed the way that the British viewed their landscapes and eventually garden design.
I can imagine you with hot coffee and freshly baked cakes reading your magasines, books, and seed catalogues.

Donetta said...

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas

kari and kijsa said...

Loved the facts about capability Brown (and love the name!-very appropriate!)

Merry Christmas blessings,
kari & kijsa

Elizabeth said...

what a lovely blog.
some beautiful pictures. especially the white amyrillis.
I found yor blog through Merisi's Vienna
I live in Morocco where it's super weather but I miss the English Christmas of my childhood.
I grew up in a cottage on an estate which was laid out by Capability Brown.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Britt-Arnhild said...

Snappy - wish I had more time for reading :-)

Donetta - Happy Holidays to you as well.

Kari and Kijsa - he got his name because of his capabilty to form the landscape. Isn't that a honor.

Elizabeth - I'll come over to chack your blog.